SA police investigate death in custody at a Craigmore house, hours after alleged hit-and-run in Andrews Farm

Investigations are underway into a death in custody, which police believe is linked to an alleged hit-and-run crash in Adelaide’s north yesterday.

Police were called to St Lawrence Avenue in Andrews Farm just before 3pm yesterday after reports a man had been hit by a white Toyota Prado.

Police say the crash followed a domestic disturbance between a group of people who were all known to each other.

The 26-year-old pedestrian, from Andrews Farm, was taken to the Royal Adelaide Hospital with serious but non-life-threatening injuries.

Hours later, just after 9pm, police were contacted by a member of the public who told them the driver allegedly involved in the crash was at a Craigmore house and armed with a knife.

Detective Inspector Brett Featherby, from SA Police’s Major Crime Investigations branch, said when officers arrived at the Karinga Avenue house they saw the white Toyota Prado in the driveway.

“When police got out they could hear a heated argument occurring inside the premises,” he said.

“We were also told by a witness at that location that a violent confrontation was occurring inside.”

Detective Inspector Featherby said when officers entered the property they found two men on the ground in the living room, one of whom was holding a knife.

“The man was armed with a knife, he was disarmed, he was then handcuffed and taken out the front of the premises and that’s when he became unresponsive and police have immediately commenced CPR,” he said.

Police continued providing CPR until paramedics arrived, but the 32-year-old Salisbury North man died at the scene.

“During the incident and during the treatment, the man’s actually disclosed that he had self-inflicted injuries, which are a result of what’s occurred inside the premises,” Detective Inspector Featherby said.

He said the incident was being treated as a death in custody and as such an independent investigation would take place, and a report would be prepared for the State Coroner.

“The cause and circumstances of the man’s death will be thoroughly investigated,” he said.

The other man at the house, a 41-year-old from Craigmore, suffered wounds to his hands and was taken to the Lyell McEwin Hospital for treatment.

Detective Inspector Featherby said police were seeking the public’s assistance with both the Andrews Farm and Craigmore incidents.

“There’s about a seven hour gap, or a six hour gap, between both and that’s why we’re seeking witnesses that may know anything about either of those incidents,” he said.

Leave a Comment