Optus takes out full-page newspaper advertisements to apologise over data breach

Optus has apologised to people affected by last week’s cyber attack, admitting that it needs to communicate better with people caught up in the data breach. 

The telecommunications company took out full-page advertisements in major newspapers around the country to say how “deeply sorry” it was. 

“We’ve heard your message that we need to communicate more clearly,” the ad says. 

“That’s why we’ve now put together easily accessible materials for you to stay informed on the actions you can take.”

It directs people to a website dedicated to updates about the cyber attack. 

What does the ad say?

Optus's full page ad, which says "We're deeply sorry that a cyberattack has  happened on our watch".
Optus says it’s “deeply sorry” about the cyber attack. (ABC News: Dannielle Maguire)

Here’s the full text:

We’re deeply sorry that a cyberattack has happened on our watch.

We know this is devastating and that we’ll need to work hard to regain your trust.

The attack was quickly shut down, and we are working closely with authorities to understand how this attack on your privacy occurred. 

Our priority is preventing harm to customers. 

We are here to assist and support you through any personal concern that you may be feeling.

We know there’s a lot of information and misinformation out there, and we’ve heard your message that we need to communicate more clearly.

That’s why we’ve now put together easily accessible materials for you to stay informed on the actions you can take at optus.com.au/support/cyberattack.

What’s the latest update?

As of Saturday morning, the Optus website’s latest update was about Friday’s press conference from the Australia Federal Police (AFP) about Operation Guardian. 

It says the AFP would “supercharge” the protection of more than 10,000 customers whose details were published online on Tuesday.