Backstreet Boys member Nick Carter responds after being accused of raping teenage girl

Backstreet Boys member Nick Carter has responded to allegations he raped a teenage girl two decades ago.

In a civil lawsuit being brought against him, Shannon “Shay” Ruth, 39, alleges Carter sexually assaulted her after a concert in February 2001, when she was 17.

But Carter rejects the accusation, saying the claim is “false”.

For more Celebrity related news and videos check out Celebrity >>

“This claim about an incident that supposedly took place more than 20 years ago is not only legally meritless but also entirely untrue,” Carter’s attorney Michael Holtz said in a statement, Page Six reports.

“Unfortunately, for several years now, Ms Ruth has been manipulated into making false allegations about Nick – and those allegations have changed repeatedly and materially over time.

“No one should be fooled by a press stunt orchestrated by an opportunistic lawyer – there is nothing to this claim whatsoever, which we have no doubt the courts will quickly realise.”

Nick Carter. Credit: Vivien Killilea/Getty Images

Ruth claims she met the then 21-year-old Carter following a Backstreet Boys concert in 2001 after joining a queue for autographs, according to legal documents obtained by TMZ.

He then invited her to join him on the tour bus, where he allegedly gave her a drink and raped her, Attorney Mark Boskovich of the law firm Corsiglia McMahon & Allard alleged at a press conference on Thursday.

Ruth was a virgin at the time and had never had a sexual experience before, Boskovich said.

“Every time Shay said no and tried to get away from Carter, he’d get angry and push her back down on that bed,” Boskovich alleged.

Shay read a statement in a press conference. Credit: Childhood Sexual Abuse Lawyers /Facebook

Ruth, who is on the autism spectrum and lives with a mild case of cerebral palsy, said the last 21 years had been filled with “pain, confusion, frustration, shame and self-harm”.

“Even though I’m autistic and live with cerebral palsy, I believe that nothing has affected me more or has had more of a lasting impact on my life than what Nick Carter did and said to me,” she told reporters through tears.

“Carter tried to scare me into silence … he was nasty and threatening.”

After the alleged assault, Ruth said she began self-harming and truly believed she would be imprisoned if she spoke about the alleged assault.

She also struggles with self-esteem and self-doubt issues, she said.

Attorney Mark Boskovich outlined the details of the case. Credit: Childhood Sexual Abuse Lawyers /Facebook

“Carter took away my childhood and innocence, and he cannot and will not take away my strength and my truth.”

The lawsuit is seeking monetary damages in two forms – punitive damages and compensation.

Boskovich said three other women, known only as Jane Doe 1, 2 and 3, also made similar allegations in the lawsuit.

If you or someone you know is impacted by sexual assault, domestic or family violence, call 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732 or visit 1800RESPECT.org.au.In an emergency, call 000.

If you need help in a crisis, call Lifeline on 13 11 14. For further information about depression contact beyondblue on 1300224636 or talk to your GP, local health professional or someone you trust.

If you’d like to view this content, please adjust your .

To find out more about how we use cookies, please see our Cookie Guide.