Prosecutor: Michigan shooting suspect wrote ‘help me’; parents accused of involuntary manslaughter

Ap21336622525391

PONTIAK, Michigan (NewsNation NowA Michigan District Attorney said the parents of the teen accused of murdering four students at Oxford High School had been subpoenaed hours earlier after a teacher found a drawing of a gun, a bleeding person, and the words “Help me”.

Oakland County Prosecutor Karen McDonald made the disclosure when she filed a charge of involuntary manslaughter against Jennifer and James Crumbley, the parents of 15-year-old Ethan Crumbley.

Ethan Crumbley was returned to his classroom and later emerged from a bathroom, firing a gun at students in the hallway.

McDonald said the semiautomatic weapon used in the shooting was bought by James Crumbley last week and given to the teen.

McDonald said Jennifer Crumbley texted her son that said, “Ethan, don’t do it.”

Jennifer and James Crumbley were charged with four counts of involuntary manslaughter. Under Michigan law, a charge of involuntary manslaughter can be prosecuted if prosecutors believe someone contributed to a situation where the injury or death was major. If convicted, they could face up to 15 years in prison.

Ethan Crumbley was indicted as an adult for two dozen crimes, including murder, attempted murder and terrorism, for Tuesday’s shooting at Oxford High School in Oakland County, about 30 miles north of Detroit.

Four students were killed and seven more people were injured. Three layers in stable condition in hospitals.

The district inspector posted a Youtube video where he said the teen had been called to the office before the shooting but, “No discipline was warranted.”

Tim Throne, leader of Oxford Community Schools, said the high school looks like a “war zone” and won’t be ready for weeks. But he repeatedly praised students and staff for how they responded to the violence.

“To say I’m still in shock and numb is probably an understatement. These events that have happened will not define us,” Throne said, grimacing and speaking slowly, in the 12-minute video.

“I want you to know that there’s been a lot of talk about the student being detained, being called to the office and stuff like that. No discipline was needed,” Throne said. “There are no discipline records in high school. Yes, this student did have contact with our front office, and yes, his parents were on campus on November 30th.”

Thron said he could not immediately release additional details.

This is an evolving story; come back for updates.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Google News Follow 1
Prosecutor: Michigan shooting suspect wrote 'help me'; parents accused of involuntary manslaughter 3

Give a Comment

x