The complaint, filed Wednesday and obtained by PEOPLE, mentions Scott, 30, Live Nation Worldwide and its subsidiaries, including Scoremore LLC, as well as other entities.
The lawsuit alleges that the defendants “failed in their duty to protect the health, safety and life of those attending the concert” and points to what the plaintiffs describe as flaws in security and crowd control.
The lawsuit also alleges that “gross negligence” and “reckless disregard” for Hilgert’s safety — who is named JWH in the court papers — resulted in “his injuries and subsequent death.”
“Defendants have blatantly failed in their duty to protect the health, safety and life of those in attendance at the concert, including but not limited to, failing to provide sufficient security personnel to implement crowd control measures, proper barricades and failure to provide adequate emergency medical care,” the indictment said.
John’s parents, Chris and Nichole Hilgert, say they want to see reforms in the way concerts are organized, from safety requirements, available medical facilities and the elimination of poorly designed general admission seats in place of allocated seats, according to a press release.
“The pain of our loss of our son John not coming home alive from an event like this is unbearable. He was a beautiful young man who just wanted to enjoy his first concert event with friends, who he loved to spend time with more than anything different,” Chris said in a statement.
“This pain should never be felt by anyone over a loved one attending a live concert,” he said. “Our sole purpose in pursuing this lawsuit is to prevent this type of tragedy from ever happening again in a live concert. There is no excuse for the poor design of the audience, the execution of the event, and the lack of response to this festival was practiced which resulted in the tragic death of our son and nine others along with dozens of other people who were innocently injured.”
He added: “If this lawsuit prevents even one family from enduring the extreme pain and anguish we have endured, it is the least we can do to honor John’s memory.”
Richard Mithoff, the family’s attorney, has also filed a lawsuit on behalf of Adam and Jennifer Cox, parents of John’s friend with whom he attended the festival and who is named as BC in the lawsuit.
The other boy was also injured during the rush of the festival, according to the family. Both lawsuits claim negligence and gross negligence on the part of all defendants and seek $1 million in damages.
“No one should die going to a concert,” Mithoff said in a statement.
A number of lawsuits have been filed in connection with the chaos of Astroworld.
On November 17, Scott was mentioned in a $750 million complaint on behalf of 125 Victims of Astroworld festival including the 21-year-old’s family Axel Acosta, who died after going into cardiac arrest from being crushed in the crowd.
In a previous statement, Live Nation said they will “continue to support and assist local authorities in their ongoing investigations so that both the fans who attended and their families can get the answers they want and deserve, and we will address all legal matters on the road.” be treated appropriately.” time.”
Meanwhile, earlier this month, Scott’s attorney, Edwin F. McPherson appeared on Good morning America and said there was “clearly a systemic glitch that we had to get to the bottom of it before pointing the finger at anyone.”
McPherson then claimed that the statement of the large number of victims made by authorities that night “definitely did not” reach the 30-year-old rapper or his team as the performer continued to run the show. “In fact,” McPherson insisted, “half an hour later we saw footage of the police just walking around and not looking like a mass casualty.”
Following the event, Scott posted a series of videos to his Instagram story on November 6, proverb he was “shocked” by what happened on his show and promised to help the victims’ families. “I’m really devastated and I could never imagine something like this happening,” Scott said at the time.
A source close to the musician previously told PEOPLE that Scott… unaware of the magnitude of the situation while on stage. “The lights were shining in his eyes and he couldn’t see what was happening,” the source said. “He thought someone had just passed out, which happens during concerts.”
This week was Scott spotted in public for the first time since the festival tragedy. The rapper was was photographed Spend time with Mark Wahlberg, Corey Gamble, and Michael Jordan in Southern California.
Nine other concertgoers have died from injuries sustained at Astroworld, including: Jacob Jurinek, 21; Jan Hilgert, 14; Brianna Rodriguez, 16; Franco Patino, 21; Ezra Blount, 9; Rudy Pena, 23; Madison Dubiskic, 23; Danish Baig, 27; and Bharti Shahani, 22.