Royal family declares new documentary ‘disappointing’ for airing ‘baseless claims’

The royal family released a statement Monday calling a new BBC Two documentary “disappointing” after the outlet aired the first part of the series examining the complicated relationship between the royals and the media.

The episode aired Monday night, “The Princes and the Press”, was presented by BBC media editor Amol Rajan and examined Prince William‘s and Prince Harryhis dealings with the press.

It featured interviews with several royal correspondents and “looked at suggestions for briefings and counter-briefings, and whether negative stories about the royals were based on information from people associated with other royal households,” according to the BBC.

The households that Queen Elizabeth, Prince William and Prince Charles issued a rare statement of solidarity against the BBC, which was taped at the end of the episode.

Members of the Royal Family on the balcony of Buckingham Palace to mark the RAF’s centenary on 10 July 2018 in London.

Chris Jackson via Getty Images

“A free, responsible and open press is vital to a healthy democracy,” said the joint statement by Buckingham Palace, Kensington Palace and Clarence House. “All too often it is exaggerated and baseless claims from unnamed sources that are presented as fact and it is disappointing when anyone, including the BBC, gives them credibility.”

The statement did not state which claims the households believed to be unfounded.

The BBC said the program was intended to show “how royal journalism is done and that it showcases a range of journalists from the television and newspaper industry.”

The broadcast of the documentary reportedly influenced Kate Middleton and Prince William’s sudden decision to ban the BBC from broadcasting their upcoming Christmas special. The sun reported on Wednesday.

The BBC declined to comment on HuffPost on Wednesday. Kensington Palace has not returned a request for comment.

“The Princes and the Press” gave a more in-depth look at how some royals — and their separate households — find a tricky line between personal and professional relationships within their own families. Sky News royal correspondent Rhiannon Mills gave some insight into how royal households operate as ‘silos’.

“Within every household, there’s still this competitive ability to get coverage for their goals, the visits they make,” said Mills, according to Insider.

“When I tried to interview Prince Charles and asked him if his sons might be involved in advocating for young people’s charities, Prince Charles avoided it. He didn’t want to talk about that.”

Omid Scobie, the royal editor of Harper’s Bazaar and the author of “Finding Freedom,” also spoke of households leaking “harmful and negative press” about each other.

“There has been [a] It has been rumored for some time that the most damaging and negative stories about Harry and Meghan that have hit the press come from other royal households or from other royal assistants or courtiers,” he said. “And my own reporting and research is correct. exactly that.”

Prince Harry And William Attend The Unveiling Of A Statue Of Their Mother, Princess Diana, In The Sunken Garden At Kensington Palace On July 1.  The Brothers Put Their Differences Aside To Attend The Event On What Would Have Been Her 60Th Birthday.
Prince Harry and William attend the unveiling of a statue of their mother, Princess Diana, in the Sunken Garden at Kensington Palace on July 1. The brothers put their differences aside to attend the event on what would have been her 60th birthday.

DOMINIC LIPINSKI via Getty Images

Prince Harry has routinely spoken against the media over the years, particularly calling out British tabloids. During the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s interview with Oprah Winfrey earlier this year, Harry shed some light on the “invisible contract” some members of his family have dealt with the media.

“I am well aware of how afraid my family is that the tabloids will turn against the royal family,” he said. “It’s a matter of if as a family member you’re willing to drink, dine and give reporters full access, you get better press.”

The Duke added that “there is a level of control through fear that has been around for generations.”

When Meghan and Harry announced they would be relinquishing royal duties in 2020, they said they would end their relationship with the Royal Rota, the group of journalists from British media who report on the royal family.

And despite differences in how the Duke of Cambridge and the Duke of Sussex work with the press, the brothers made separate statements earlier this year calling out the BBC and now former BBC journalist Martin Bashir for the “deceitful way” the outlet got an interview with their mother, the late Princess Diana, in 1995.

Harry gets the chance to tell his own side of the story in his upcoming memoirs, which will be released next year.

“I am immensely grateful for the opportunity to share what I have learned over the course of my life thus far and I am excited that people are reading a first-hand account of my life that is accurate and completely truthful,” he said. in a statement earlier this year. year.

Subscribe to HuffPost’s Watching the Royals newsletter for all things Windsor (and beyond).

.

Google News Follow 1
Royal family declares new documentary 'disappointing' for airing 'baseless claims' 4

Leave a Reply

x