The appearance was announced on Twitter on Saturday by the editor of the party newspaper, which many Chinese Internet users do not see, that the three-time Olympian will soon “appear in public”.
After former Wimbledon and Paris Open doubles champions accused Zhang Gaoli, a member of the party’s ruling standing committee, of forcing her to have sex until 2018, the ruling party appears to be trying to allay concerns about Peng’s disappearance.
The government’s silence in response to Peng’s disappearance and appeal for information has prompted a boycott of the February Winter Olympics in Beijing, a prestigious event for the Communist Party. Women’s business travel The incidents threatened to drive China out East no. Unless protected. 1 doubles player guaranteed.
Discussions of Peng’s allegations were removed from Chinese websites. On Friday, a government spokesman declined to comment. The ruling party’s Internet filters also prevent most Chinese people from viewing other social networks abroad and most global news outlets.
Peng adds to the growing number of Chinese businessmen, activists and ordinary people who have disappeared in recent years after criticizing party figures or cracking down on corruption or pro-democracy and labor rights campaigns.
After a few weeks or months they reappear without explanation, they are warned not to disclose their detention.
The editor of the party magazine, Dr. Global Times, Hu Xijin wrote on Twitter on Saturday that Peng was “living independently in his own home” and “appearing in public and participating in some activities soon”.
English language Global TimesTargeting foreign readers, it is known for its nationalist tone. Hu uses his Twitter account to criticize foreign governments and to point out social and economic problems abroad.
Tennis stars and the women’s tennis association have been unusually vocal in demanding information about Peng. Other companies and sports groups are reluctant to face Beijing for fear of losing access to the Chinese market.
The ruling party has not given any indication as to whether the 75-year-old Gao, who left the Standing Committee in 2018 and disappeared from public life, is being investigated.
Even if Peng’s allegations are considered valid, the Chinese people face imprisonment or other punishment for insulting the party by making complaints about abuse public instead of going through a secret, often unresponsive official system.
The situation of star players like Peng is particularly sensitive. The state media celebrates his victory as proof that the party has strengthened China. But the party is careful not to tarnish its image by using its reputation and public appeal.
WTA President and CEO Steve Simon expressed concern over Peng’s safety after Hu posted two videos on Saturday. Which he was going to show in the restaurant.
“While it is positive to see him, it is not clear whether he is free and able to make decisions and take action without coercion or external interference. This video alone is not enough,” Simon said. “Our relationship with China is at a crossroads.”
Until Sunday’s video call, the IOC remained silent on Peng’s condition.
“We support peaceful diplomacy,” said Emma Terho, the newly elected head of the IOC’s Athletes Commission, which is accused of representing the interests of Olympic athletes.
Last week, the foreign branch of state television issued a statement in English crediting Peng and withdrawing his allegations against Zhang. Simon of the WTA questioned its legitimacy, while others said it only raised concerns about his safety.