Queen pictured at first personal engagement since missing Cenotaph service due to back sprained

The Queen has performed her first official engagements since missing last week’s Remembrance Sunday service.

The 95-year-old monarch removed from Cenotaph service three days ago after she sprained her back.

Today she welcomed General Sir Nick Carter, Chief of the Defense Staff, to Windsor Castle as he prepares to step down from his role as Chief of the Armed Forces at the end of the month.

READ MORE:

It was the first time in almost a month that the Queen has been depicted with a personal commitment since hosting a reception for the global investment summit in Windsor on October 19.

Towards the end of October, doctors advised her to rest for two weeks after a stay at King Edward VII’s Hospital, which was her first overnight visit to a medical facility in eight years.

The Queen has since performed light duties, including handling her famous red boxes of papers and leading a handful of virtual audiences.

Dressed in a green, orange and white floral dress, the Queen was pictured today greeting General Sir Nick in the Oak Room of the castle.



0 Audiences At Windsor Castle
Queen Elizabeth II receives General Sir Nick Carter, Chief of the Defense Staff, during an audience in the Oak Room at Windsor Castle

The prince, who is the head of the armed forces, smiled and shook hands with General Sir Nick as they began to talk.

In footage released by the public, General sees Sir Nick enter the room to be the first to be greeted by Candy, the Queen’s curious elder Dorgi, a cross between a Dachshund and a Corgi.

Gen Sir Nick and the Queen discussed his time as army chief during their conversation.

He told the monarch he’d been in the post for eight years, to which she said it was “pretty sad” that he was leaving, adding: “It’s been a long time.”

Gen Sir Nick went on to discuss the Duke of Edinburgh’s late uncle, saying: “It’s been a long time. In fact, Lord Mountbatten is the only person who has done longer, I’m told . . . so I’m quite surprised by all that.”

The Queen grinned and replied, “Oh really? Oh?”

She added: “I suppose if you get that job, you know, it’s easier to keep going, isn’t it?”

Gen Sir Nick replied: “I think that’s right. Although I have to say that I think the time will come when it is ready to move on.”



0 National Service Of Remembrance At The Cenotaph
The Queen pictured at the memorial service at the cenotaph in 2020

Buckingham Palace announced Sunday morning that the Queen would be absent from the memorial service at the Cenotaph in central London because she had sprained her back.

The palace said the Queen made the decision not to attend “with great regret” and was “disappointed” to miss it.

Heir to the throne Charles laid a wreath of poppies on behalf of his mother, as has been the tradition since 2017.

Earlier this week, on Thursday, the Prince of Wales reassured a bystander about his mother’s health when he met people in Brixton.

Charles was greeted by crowds as he left a branch of the NatWest bank in south London after an engagement for the Prince’s Trust.

A man asked him, “Prince Charles. How is your mother?”

Charles gave him an encouraging pat on the arm and seemed to say, “She’s all right, thank you.”

The Queen was healthy enough to travel by helicopter to Sandringham on November 4 for a long planned weekend getaway, where she was seen on the estate in her signature casual headscarf.

In early October, she was seen holding a walking stick during a service at Westminster Abbey, the first time she did so at a major event.

She still rides her Fell ponies in Windsor and mainly rides around her private estates.

For all the latest news, click here to sign up for our newsletter

.

Google News Follow 1
Queen pictured at first personal engagement since missing Cenotaph service due to back sprained 4

Leave a Reply

x