Police stop school bus for fear of COVID border violation

Update | Two teenagers have been arrested after crossing the South Australian border from Victoria and later boarding a school bus full of high school students in Victor Harbor.

SA police say they were informed by Victoria Police just before 15:15 a.m. that two girls were crossing the South Australian border “in different vehicles to travel to Gulwa to see another girl”.

According to police, the girls, aged 11 and 1, had gone to Victor Harbor High School from Gulwa this morning.

Authorities stopped the bus and the students from falling off, the people on board who were given masks and aboard the ship for about two hours.

Police Commissioner Grant Stevens told reporters this afternoon that the two girls had been arrested and that they had failed to follow quarantine guidelines and were accused of providing false information to border officials.

He said both of those negative COVID-19 tests had returned.

“We are working on a heavy sense of concern (and) we have taken steps to ban travel to South Australia,” he said.

“This type of activity has the potential to undermine all of our efforts to protect South Australia from the spread of COVID-19.

“It’s good that these two girls were found. It’s good that they’ve given negative tests, but the various activities we’ve seen here put us at risk.”

Eddie Conley, principal of Victor Harbor High School, initially said all the students on the bus had been taken home, but later updated his statement that all the children were “in the process of being taken home.”

“This morning Sapol stopped the school bus with some of our students in connection with a possible violation of the COVID-1 ban,” Conley said on Facebook.

“The families of all the children on the bus have been contacted and are in the process of taking their children home until further notice.”

According to the state education department, most of the children are off the bus and have been told to stay home alone until further notice.

Police have now called anyone [who] He believes they may have given the two girls a lift “to immediately separate and contact SA Health’s COVID hotline.

Hamish, a student on the bus, told FiveAA that police put a mask on the bus, which was full of students and stopped for about two hours.

“We were just told to stay,” he said.

“There hasn’t been much communication at the moment, so no one is really sure what’s going on or where we’re going.”

Hamish later allowed him to get off the bus and his mother told him to take her home.

“Actually, these girls just happened to be and stopped us when we got to school,” he said.

He said police initially told him to stay away for 14 days, but “as we were leaving, an officer came to the window and said it was in your house until SA Health notified.”

He estimates there were about 0 to0 students on the bus.

After South Australia closed the border with Greater Melbourne on Wednesday, the problem of fear comes tomorrow. Victoria has entered the seven-day “circuit breaker” as a strike today.

Last night, two passengers aboard Darwin’s Ghan train were evacuated 70 kilometers northwest of Merla, leaving Adelaide behind.

Chief Public Health Officer Nicola Spurier said many of the train passengers were at high-risk sites in Victoria and SA Health was conducting tests for them.

The other two passengers on the westbound Indian Pacific train have been offloaded in Adelaide and are being kept in hotel quarantine.

Pressure eased at test sites across South Australia today, with SA Health Reporting reporting no waiting for Adelaide’s popular Victoria Park testing facility until 9am today.

Health officials also reported a wait time of minutes0 minutes and an hour today through the testing facility on Port Adelaide Drive, and a waiting time of one to two hours at Dr. Park Park Repeat Health Precinct.

Hundreds of passengers arrived at the SA from Victoria’s exposure sites, the number of people submitted for testing in the last two days has increased.

SA Health reported 70,0422 covid tests on Wednesday – the second-highest number this year – of three-hour trials at Victoria Park, Dow Park and Hampstead Road in Northfield.

Hundreds of passengers returning from Victoria are now separated, but no new COVID-1 cases were recorded in South Australia on Thursday.

Victoria recorded four new local cases of COVID-1 this morning, with 47,462 Victorians testing for COVID from 2V hours on Friday morning.

The tragedy began – when a passenger returned to Melbourne and was quarantined at the Pleford Central Hotel in Adelaide on the North Terrace under the Covid Agreement – now separated to more than 15,000 Victorians as close primary and secondary contacts of known cases.

There are more than 1,150 exposure sites throughout regional and urban Victoria, including 121 publicly listed locations.

Stephanie Richards

Local news cases

Media diversity is under threat in Australia – nowhere more so than in South Australia. The state needs more than one voice to move forward and you can donate to InDaily in donations of any size. Your contribution directly helps our journalists to uncover the facts. Please click below to contribute to InDaily.

Contribute here

Powered by
Prespatron

Leave a Comment

x