Fifty years ago, the then Lord Mayor of Britain, Wright Hannell Clem Jones, officially opened the Korparu Clubhouse.
The new clubhouse opened on May 2, 1971, and the ground was considered the largest in Brisbane at the time, costing more than $ 120,000, including all of the clubhouse’s modern fittings. Floodlighting was installed around the oval and a scoreboard was erected at the end of Norman Creek with a kind grant from local businessman John Beach.
The new clubhouse was designed by Barry Einsley and built by local builder Keith Andrews. The scoreboard, which included a small room and equipment shed, was built by Vince Naume. Due to the nature of the clubhouse creek was built on the upper ground of the playground which in turn enabled the patrons to watch football from the upper ground. A new era was about to begin in Australian football.
It had been a long time in the making, but the Roos eventually had their own area call and club house. There was a great sense of relief and joy for many who had worked diligently over the years and had finally found a spiritual home.
The process began about thirty years ago, when in 1941, Kyorparu began training and playing at the old Korparu racecourse.
In 194.1 the old racecourse was an overgrown paddock surrounded by a mangrove and a creek that constantly broke its banks. 1 1971 to 1 Fast forward and a rocky hard surface that was once hit by hooves and motorcycles and then green grass and wire fencing.
The round family was named after the Giffin family because of the hard work and determination of the Australian Football Club in the district.
Photo and story supplied by Coorparoo Jr. Australian Football Club